02 December 2016

Random Reviews Chapter-2: Mattbratt ( Mattbratt's Level pack.)

I know I usually don't write two posts one after another, but this is something I feel that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Why? Because I might forget if I put this off any longer. Usually I post my doom wad reviews on Doomworld. But this was an old wad and I just can't resist not reviewing it. If you know nothing about doom or don't know what a doom wad is, stop reading this right now as you won't get anything. I'm reviewing a wad by Mattbratt called Mattbratt's Level pack (mattpack.wad). It's a megawad consisting of 32 maps for Doom-II and boy is this thing a piece of crap. When an author of a wad gives you a tip for playing HIS OWN WAD that goes "Turn on infinite ammo, activate god mode and IDFA", you know that your in for some crazy stuff. The first map isn't typically that bad. It's not even that bad. But that's only for the first map. All the other 31 maps are complete crap. For the first few maps, all you really need is infinite ammo and IDFA (a cheat that gives all weapons). But the maps get stupider and stupider until it's unbeatable unless you cheat. The later maps are short, box-ish, bland and filled to the brim with every monster at the mapper's disposal. While playing this map I laughed at how horrible these maps were. That's right! These maps were bad to the point of being funny. But after playing through 20 maps, I went from laughing to the point of wishing I didn't download this and just wanted to rush to the bathroom to vomit. One of the later maps has a zillion arachnotrons firing at you from 2 directions and there collective shooting sound is so damn loud that it's likely to cause your ear to bleed. And there are also archviles. Lots and lots of archviles. In fact there were so many archviles that I wondered if this was secretly a Terry wad (If you don't know what that is, trust me, it's better this way). And of course, how can any one forget the clichèd Icon of Sin boss fight at the end of wad. But if it was just that, it would've been okay cause even a lot of great wads have them. But this particular boss fight is unwinnable (I know that's not a real word) if you don't use IDCLIP to walk through this boss and shoot Romero's head from the inside. Overall this is a wad you should not download even though it's only about 333 KB. But if you're like me and want to see first hand how bad this really is, here's the link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/mattpack.zip



I rate this wad: 2/100
Thanks for reading!

P.S: I should mention that some of the early maps are actually stolen.

No comments:

Post a Comment