31 December 2016

Random Reviews Chapter-11: Immortality (Baccano!)


WARNING! THIS MAY POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE ANIME BACCANO. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

DISCLAIMER: THE IMAGES USED IN THIS POSTS DO NOT BELONG TO ME. I FOUND THEM ON THE INTERNET.
The last anime I watched was 'School Days' and the last good anime I watched was 'Higurashi'. This time, I decided to take a crack at 'Baccano!' Unless I'm mistaken, this anime has only 1 season consisting of 16 episodes. It takes an interesting way of telling its story. The plot is almost as confusing as the plot of Higurashi.


If the plot of the anime is considered as a line, instead of each episode covering a small portion of the line, it jumps from one portion to another. So I guess there isn't any clear beginning, middle and end. Judging by what the Vice-President says about the stories not having a start and end, I think this ambiguity is what the anime was going for.

There area set of people who are immortal and some semi-immortal. most of the main characters fall into these to categories. You'd think the anime would get boring knowing that no one is going to die (or at least stay dead), but no. The story keeps you interested by making you want to know what exactly happened. And besides, a lot of guys like Vino, Jacuzzi, Nice, Eve, Ladd and Chane aren't immortal. This anime also has no clear protagonist. So it is interesting to say the least. So yeah, this plot and story telling style was a huge success when we consider what the anime was going for.

Being an anime about immortality with crime having a huge role in the plot, you'd think this would be filled to the brim with gruesome and bloody scenes. Though this anime has some gruesome scenes thrown in here and there, it isn't nearly that much or that bad when you compare it to something like Mirai Nikki. The end leaves you satisfied and at the same time wanting more.

I really liked the message at the end. "Stories should not have a beginning or ending". I have my own take on that. But I'll make a separate blog post regarding that one line alone.

The opening is nice to watch. However, It doesn't have any songs to go along with it. For the most part, the opening does fit the anime.

Up until now, I've just been stating thing as it is. What's my take on the whole anime? Personally, I liked it. It does get a little tiring at times but nothing to take you out of the experience entirely. Most of the characters are likable or detestable depending on what part they play in the whole story. Though normally, I'd complain about some characters not having proper development and backstories but judging by the nature of this anime, I'll make an exception for this one. Dallas, in particular, was really annoying and useless at the same time. I'm willing to believe that he's nothing more than a plot device. I'd also say the same about Chane, though she isn't nearly as annoying. This may be a nit-pick on my part but, what exactly did Chane's presence in the story accomplish?

Overall, I wouldn't say this is a bad anime. It's quite good. I would recommend this to you if you have some free time on your hands. Not exactly a 'MUST WATCH' type of thing rather, something you'd most probably enjoy. unless of course, you don't like this genre in general.

I rate this: 83/100
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment